Friday, November 18, 2011

Independence

Beni Snassen 3id Kbir Soccer Tournament
Today I want to wish Morocco a happy independence day. After 44 years under Spanish and French occupation, in 1956 Morocco became the independent kingdom that I now live in. I wont proclaim to know much about Moroccan history. Most of my information comes from Lonely Planet and Wikipedia. However, it seems coincidentally interesting that this 55th celebration falls so near one of modern Morocco’s greatest turning points. In a week from now, Morocco will be taking a new step not only towards a more comprehensive democracy as a nation, but also towards a more inclusive, and representative role for its citizens. That’s the theory anyway. I’m no expert on Moroccan politics, but my observations in Tafoghalt show an overall sense of guarded optimism. The Arab Spring that ripped through this part of the world earlier this year and is still happening in parts of the Middle East did not skip Morocco. Although it largely avoided the headlines because it was relatively peaceful, the movement for government reforms spread through Morocco with popular support. In response, the king introduced a round of reforms that include, among other things, a more regionally representative dissemination of power. Similar to congress men (and women [I’ve seen a few campaign fliers for women candidates]), these representatives are the reason that campaign teams have been wandering around town handing out information, politicians are buying tons of tea and cookies, and the streets are littered with piles of fliers full of sullen faced men in their nicest suits. Without disclosing too much of my own opinion (PC rules), I too have some apprehension about the elections. In the year and a half that I have spent here, I have become too well aware of the culture of politics that permeates small town Morocco. In fact it’s not so different from American politics. Just multiply the beurocracy by 5. Often divided by family or proximity, politicians seem as often as not, barriers to progress and reform. The mighty stamp rules the land! If you are not on its good side…well, good luck. But these elections are meant to give the people more national representation, and I have nothing but hope that they will honestly and peacefully accomplish their intentions. The demonstrations that marked the Arab Spring in Morocco were full of discontented young people with few demands other than that someone provide them a job. I don’t see this election a fulfillment to that wish per se. I do see it as a step that falls in line with Peace Corps’ philosophy on handouts. Instead of directly giving people the things they demand, these elections are empowering people so that they can determine their own future. As for myself, I've been having some personal revelations as to my own independence. Maybe I'll write about those next time. In the mean time I found this article to be well written, insightful, and extremely relatable. Its been floating around the Peace Corps world. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maya-lau/what-the-peace-corp-taugh_b_1099202.html

No comments:

Post a Comment